Thursday, December 15, 2011

Nativity

  Growing up, my favorite tradition was always getting together with cousins 
(or when they weren't around, neighbor kids)
to act out the Nativity.
SO many tender memories of mine are filled with that itchy tinsel stapled around my head (i don't think I ever got to be mary...dang tyla:)), towels draped over my brothers heads and robes 10x too big cinched around their little waists, a random cow (?) in the background, and my mom getting her old wooden jewelry box for the wiseman to bring baby jesus a gift.
We would all be so excited to act out the Christmas story as one of the Dad's read from Luke.
And afterwards, my grandpa Dunn would play at the piano and belt out "silent night"
in that booming voice of his.
Ah....Such great memories.
I get all tender hearted just thinking about it.
It's Christmas to me.
Nothing over done.
Doesn't cost a penny.
Just about family
and 
Jesus.
And I don't think there is anything that can quite capture that amazing night so long ago
like innocent little chickies humbly portraying the different roles. 















And now I get to watch my own children + cousins
and be filled with the same awe filled wonder.

Silent night, holy night.
All is calm, all is bright.
Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child.
Holy infant so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

Silent night, holy night.
Son of God love's pure light.
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth.
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth


*thank you erica for all the photos.
you captured the sweet night perfectly.

2 comments:

Terry said...

I miss being there for things like this. What a great tradition. Keep it up and next year we'll try to come. Let us know. Wonderful!

Terry said...

Can I get a copy of that last picture . I love it so much