Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gratitude.

Thanksgiving was last week.
We spent it in St George with Sonny's family and had a great ol time!
I love this time of year always, but this year it had a little more meaning to me than others.
I have been keeping a gratitude journal the last month or so and it has really helped me see all the sweet tender blessings in my life.
I have been writing in it at night and it is amazing to see what mattered to me the very most that day.
It isn't usually anything big.
Sometimes just Lulu's giggle
the rockstar's funny joke and silly drawing he entertained me with
Gigi's kisses
or a sweet hubby doing the dishes and letting me rest.
I really have so much to be grateful for.
Life is such a gift, and I want to live it to the fullest. 
I have Health.
I am a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I have a testimony of that.
It is true and I am so grateful to know that.
I have a great imperfect family who love me and have taught me to have compassion for others.
I have wonderful friends who have always been an extension to my family.
I was born in America. We have freedoms that are only dreams for so many in the world.
I have food on the table for my children.
I was able to gain an education.
I can read amazing books and I can write and express how I feel.
Again, two things we take for granted.
I have a home that I love with all my heart because it's mine
(well it's citi mortgages, but after a gazillion more payments it could be mine too.:))
I grew up with the most amazing grandparents evah and a fantastic extended family.
answered prayers.
I am unconditionally loved by the sweetest man.
And I have 3 beautiful children who make life amazing and make me realize that they truly are brothers and sisters from Heaven, because they teach me so much each and every day.
I could go on and on and these are just the major things in life.
The every day tender mercies are limitless though and I plan on documenting as many of them as I can 
late at night right before I hit my pillow.

"To express gratitude is gracious and honorable. To enact gratitude is generous and noble. But to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch Heaven."
-President Thomas S Monson

Be grateful.
It really is "The Secret" to a happy life.

3 comments:

Tricia Lovato said...

I am making Gratitude Journals for the kids for Christmas! I need to make myself one too. I think this is a great idea. I think we get so caught up in our days as Moms so that many times we just don't pause to look at all we have to be grateful for....at least I know that is how I am. I think it would help me alot. Thank you for the inspiration. Love you!

carrie said...

Well said Kristin! We need to get together soon, like real soon! Freak, Christmas is right around the corner! Love your little guts!

nicole said...

What a beautiful reminder Kristin! My journal sits by my nightstand collecting dust bugs. You motivated me to start again. I don't remember who said this at conference, but Gratitude truly is one of the noblest of virtues, and I believe that! You my dear, made it in my gratitude journal long long ago :D